Growing up, one of my favorite treats was rice krispie treats. I used to get them all the time pre-packaged in those blue wrappers, but even as a kid, I always felt those pre-made ones were too sweet. Thats why I loved making them from scratch. It’s so easy, and they taste infinitely better. This black sesame rice krispie treat recipe is definitely one of my favorite takes on this classic childhood treat because it combines 2 things I love: black sesame seeds and rice krispie treats!
Why black sesame paste is the best
One of the most popular recipes on this blog is my black sesame paste recipe. Not only is it healthy and simple to make, but it can be used in sooooo many ways. I usually eat it on toast in the mornings or with my fruit as a snack. One of my favorite ways to use it is in dessert recipes like this black sesame creme brulee! The reason black sesame paste is essential vs using powdered black sesame seeds is that the honey helps the seeds incorporate with the other ingredients.
Invest in a spice grinder because it’s worth it
On the subject of powdered black sesame seeds. I used to exclusively use a food processor to make my black sesame paste, but recently, I discovered the magic of a spice grinder. Spice grinders are a godsend when you have whole spices like cardamom seeds or whole coffee beans that need to be broken down into powder. Sesame seeds are extremely hard to break down, and most of the time, food processors don’t get the job done. In the past, I still had whole sesame seeds leftover even after running my food processor for a few minutes. A spice grinder can get it all broken down in 1-2 minutes. It’s mind blowing!
Making this black sesame rice krispie recipe
This rice krispie treat recipe is SO EASY. Make the black sesame paste first by combining black sesame seed powder and honey. Then melt some butter over medium heat. Add in the black sesame paste and the marshmallows. Stir until everything is well incorporated. Once done, pour it over Rice Krispies cereal. Stir everything together until the cereal is thoroughly coated. Let it set for 10 minutes before eating. All in all, it takes less than 10 minutes to make this yummy treat, and its totally worth it!
Black Sesame Rice Krispie Treats
- Line a 9x9 baking dish with parchment paper.
- First make the black sesame paste. Toast the black sesame seeds for 10-20 seconds until you can smell a toasted aroma coming from the seeds. Use a spice grinder or food processor to break down the sesame seeds into powder. Mix the black sesame powder with honey. Set aside.
- Melt butter over medium heat. Add in the black sesame paste and marshmallows. Mix until everything is well incorporated.
- Pour the black sesame marshmallow mixture into a large mixing bowl with the Rice Krispie cereal. Mix until the cereal is well coated.
- Put the rice krispie treats into the 9x9 baking dish and press down with a spatula so the rice krispie treats are distributed evenly. Set aside and let cool for 10 minutes before serving.