One fruit that has become a favorite of mine is blood oranges. I found some at my local Trader Joe’s on super sale, so I swooped them up knowing I wanted to create something yummy with them. After a few days of mulling over what I wanted to do and going back and forth, I finally settled on this blood orange sugar cookie recipe.
My Recipe Creation Process
When I brainstorm recipes, I usually do a ton of research online, and I try to draw inspiration from stuff I’ve had in my day to day. I knew I wanted to create a dessert because the sweetness and color of blood oranges lends itself so well to desserts. I also knew I wanted to bring something to work as none of my new coworkers have sampled anything I’ve made, so naturally sugar cookies came to mind. Cookies are easily transportable, and they’re easy to execute. After I come up with an initial idea, I write down an estimation of the ingredients I’d need and adjust them as I go.
The recipe I used for these sugar cookies is adapted from Kate Wood’s recipe on her blog The Wood and Spoon. I absolutely love everything she does, and it’s amazing that she is self taught! This was my first time making sugar cookies. The problem I ran into was I made the cookies a little too thin, so I needed to cut my baking time in half to make sure they didn’t burn. I actually liked the thinner cookie as it went really well with my blood orange glaze and candied blood oranges.
The Blood Orange Glaze
The one thing I knew I wanted to make was this blood orange glaze. Blood oranges are red in color and when mixed with sugar or milk, turns pink. This glaze turned out better than I anticipated! It was not too sweet, and the pink color is perfect for Mother’s Day, which is coming up in a few weeks!
Did you make this dish?
If you made this dish, I would love to see!
Disclaimer: If you purchase anything through a link on this site, I may receive a small commission from the purchase at no extra cost to you. I only recommend products that I would personally use. Thank you so much for the support!
Blood Orange Sugar Cookies
- 1) Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Place them in the fridge for 10 minutes before popping them in the oven. Bake for 10-12 minutes. Cool on a cooling rack.
- Combine the flour, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl and mix well.
- In another bowl, combine the rest of the cookie ingredients. Once the wet ingredients are well mixed, slowly incorporate the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients.
- Pour the mixture onto a lightly floured surface and form a big ball. Use a rolling pin to roll out the dough until it is 1/4 inch thick.
- Cut the dough into the desired shape (I used a circular cookie cutter) and place them on a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place them in the fridge for 10 minutes before popping them in the oven. Bake for 10-12 minutes. Cool on a cooling rack.
Candied Blood Orange
- Combine the water, sugar, and honey in a sauce pan.
- Bring to a boil. Drop in the blood orange slices and reduce the heat to a simmer. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Place on a baking sheet to cool.
Blood Orange Glaze
- Whisk together all the ingredients until a smooth consistency.
Finishing the cookies
- Dip half the cookie in the glaze. Cut a small piece of the candied blood orange and place it on top of the glaze.