This post is sponsored by Knorr, Best Foods, and Unilever, but the opinions and text are all mine. Mexican culture has always been a big part of my life because I grew up in a Mexican community. As a result, Mexican culture has influenced how I think about food and the recipes I create. So when Knorr asked me to create a recipe that would pair well with their Sopa Mexicana soup mixes, I was like yes! I love their soup mixes because they’re an easy way for me to get a hearty bowl of soup faster. I personally like their chicken with rice soup paired with my homemade lemongrass chicken banh mi. The Mexican flavors of the soup pair well with the Vietnamese flavors of my chicken banh mi.
Why I love Knorr Sopa Mexicana soup mixes
The coolest thing about these soup mixes is that there are no artificial ingredients, and they’re filled with real vegetables. Usually, you get those dried, plastic tasting vegetables, but I love that these soup mixes are filled with the real stuff. These soup mixes can be found at Superior, El Super, Cardenas and Northgate grocery stores in the soup aisle and are currently on sale for $0.99 from 12/8 – 12/18.
Ingredients, Substitutions & Adjustments
Lemongrass Chicken Marinade
- Boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs – I like to use chicken thighs because they’re a lot juicier and flavorful than other cuts of chicken. Chicken breast also works for this recipe.
- Shallots and garlic – Both ingredients add more flavor to this lemongrass chicken banh mi. A good substitute for shallots is yellow onion.
- Lemongrass – Lemongrass adds a slightly sour flavor to the chicken. Good substitutes for lemongrass are lime zest, lemon zest, or Keffir lime leaves.
- Fish sauce and soy sauce – Both ingredients add umami and salty flavors to the marinade. A good substitute for soy sauce is oyster sauce. To make this marinade gluten free, use tamari.
- Vegetable oil – Good substitutes for vegetable oil are olive oil and grapeseed oil.
- Honey – Adds some sweetness to the marinade.
- Light brown sugar – Adds some sweetness to the marinade. You can use either light or dark brown sugar. Dark brown sugar will make the marinade sweeter.
- Baguettes – Use any baguettes you can find.
- Best Foods Real Mayonnaise – This mayonnaise is America’s #1 mayonnaise and is made with real eggs, oil, and sugar! Mayonnaise is a traditional condiment used in banh mi.
- Pepper for seasoning
- Cucumber, cilantro, pickled carrots, and pickled daikon – The freshness of these vegetables balance out the rich flavors of the lemongrass chicken.
Making my lemongrass chicken banh mi recipe
This lemongrass chicken banh mi is a simple weeknight recipe that comes together in less than 30 minutes. Combine all the ingredients for the chicken marinade in a bowl. Mix and coat the chicken. Let it marinate for 15 minutes. Heat a pan over high heat. Pour the chicken and marinade into the pan. Cook chicken over high heat until brown (3-5 minutes). Taste the chicken to make sure it’s done. Remove from the heat. Cut baguettes in half and toast. Smear some Best Foods Real Mayonnaise on one side. Top with a pinch of black pepper. Add a few pieces of chicken, cucumber, pickled carrots, pickled daikon, and cilantro. Enjoy with a bowl of Knorr Sopa Mexicana – Chicken flavor with rice soup.
Tips on how to make the perfect lemongrass chicken banh mi
Cook the chicken over high heat
Cooking the chicken over high heat ensures you cook the chicken without the juices running out and making the chicken mushy. If you can do this in a wok, even better!
For more flavor, grill the chicken instead
Traditionally, this chicken is made over a grill, but I decided to simplify it by making it in a fry pan. If you have a grill, definitely use it for this recipe because it gives the chicken so much extra flavor!
Did you make this lemongrass chicken banh mi?
If you made this dish, I would love to see!
Thank you to Knorr, Best Foods, and Unilever for sponsoring this post.
Lemongrass Chicken Banh Mi
- 2 lb boneless, skinless chicken thighs thinly sliced
- 2 shallots minced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tbsp lemongrass minced
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp light brown sugar
- 2 baguettes
- ¼ cup Best Foods Real Mayonnaise
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 cucumber thinly sliced
- ¼ cup picked carrots
- ¼ cup pickled daikon
- ¼ cup cilantro
- Combine all the ingredients for the chicken marinade in a bowl. Mix and coat the chicken. Let it marinate for 15 minutes.
- Heat a pan over high heat. Pour the chicken and marinade into the pan. Cook chicken over high heat until brown (3-5 minutes). Taste the chicken to make sure it’s done. Remove from the heat.
- Cut baguettes in half and toast. Smear some Best Foods Real Mayonnaise on one side. Top with a pinch of black pepper. Add a few pieces of chicken, cucumber, pickled carrots, pickled daikon, and cilantro.
- Enjoy with a bowl of Knorr Sopa Mexicana - Chicken flavor with rice soup.