One of the most common questions I get asked is where do I get the inspiration for my recipes. The answer is everywhere. From the food that I eat at restaurants to the cooking shows that I watch. One place I always get inspiration is the grocery store! I always come across some new ingredients I’ve never seen before that inspires me to create. Last week I was at Trader Joe’s where I discovered pink lemons. I was so excited! First off, I LOVE pink. And secondly, I LOVE citrus. So I grabbed them and this lemon curd recipe was the result.
Before last week, I didn’t know there was such a thing as pink lemons. But I guess I shouldn’t be surprised since we’re getting stuff like purple vegetables these days. After some Googling, I learned that pink lemons are the perfect base for desserts because they are a little bit sweeter than regular lemons. And despite their pink coloring, their juice still comes out yellow.
Now to the lemon curd
I have always loved lemon curd, so it’s been a goal of mine to create a recipe of my own. The normal method of creating lemon curd is to add all the ingredients to a heatproof bowl and mix them together over simmering water. I tried that, but I didn’t get the smooth curd I wanted. So I tried to re-strategize from there. I was doing some research online, and I discovered this method where you mix all the ingredients together in a mixing bowl and then heat that mixture over heat to thicken it up. Sounded promising so I tried it! Using this method, I was able to make sure all my ingredients were mixed well and the eggs didn’t solidify over the heat. Something about coating the eggs in sugar helps prevent that from happening.
I absolutely love love loveddd this pink lemon curd. I ate them with some madeleines I got from the store and wow it was to die for. This is the first of many citrus recipes because it’s citrus season!!! Stay tuned for more.
Disclaimer: If you purchase anything through a link on this site, I may receive a small commission from the purchase at no extra cost to you. I only recommend products that I would personally use. Thank you so much for the support!
Pink Lemon Curd
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 6 tbsp butter room temperature
- ⅔ cup lemon juice
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- 3 eggs
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together butter and sugar with a hand mixer or stand mixer until the butter is broken down into small pieces.
- Add in eggs one at a time and mix well.
- Lastly, add in the lemon juice and lemon zest and mix.
- Pour the mixture into a sauce pan and heat over low heat.
- Continually mix until the butter melts and you have a smooth mixture. Increase the heat to medium heat and stir continuously for 3-5 minutes to thicken the curd. You can tell the curd is done if you run a finger through the curd on your spoon and the trail your finger created stays fully formed.
- Empty the curd into a jar and put into the fridge for at least 2 hours before serving.
Leave a Reply