You know when you’re at a ramen place, and you’re like I want an extra egg please because it’s just that good. Well every time that happens to me I always think, “How do you make this?!” I made it my mission to figure it out. The past couple weeks I’ve been experimenting with different variations of this ramen egg recipe, and I finally got one I like! And I am so excited to share with you. If you’re interested in another soy marinated egg recipe, check out my ginger soy marinated eggs!
How do you soft boil an egg?
The first part of producing the perfect ramen egg is to soft boil eggs. Bring some water to a boil and drop your cold eggs into the water. Boil for 6 minutes and 10 seconds. No more no less. Then immediately submerge them into ice water to stop the cooking process. The key here is to make sure your eggs are cold before you put them into the boiling water.
Making the soy sauce marinade
The second component of this ramen egg recipe is the soy sauce marinade. My recipe has soy sauce, sake (YES YES), coconut sugar, rice vinegar, and water. Mix it all together and heat it over the stove for ~1 minute. This ensures that all the flavors blend together really well and the alcohol burns off. After you take it off the stove, let the liquid sit for at least 20 minutes. If you add the eggs to the hot liquid right away, it will start to cook the eggs past the soft boiled egg stage.
What can I eat ramen eggs with other than ramen?
I love to eat my ramen eggs on instant ramen. In general, instant ramen is pretty boring for me, so I always load it up with toppings like green onions, fried shallots, black sesame seeds, and these eggs! Another way I like to eat these eggs are on rice topped with green onions and black sesame seeds. When that runny egg yolk soaks into the rice, it’s like pure magic in your mouth.
Did you make this dish?
If you made this dish, I would love to see!
Disclaimer: If you purchase anything through a link on this site, I may receive a small commission from the purchase at no extra cost to you. I only recommend products that I would personally use. Thank you so much for the support!
Ramen Eggs (Soy Marinated Eggs)
- Whisk together soy sauce, sake, coconut sugar, rice vinegar, and water.
- Add all the liquid to a small sauce pan and heat the liquid until it starts to simmer (~1 minute). Take it off the stove and let it cool for 20 minutes. Cooling the liquid will prevent the heat from cooking the eggs.
- Put the soy sauce mixture into a bowl or ziplock bag. Set aside.
- Soft boiling the eggs: Bring a pot of water to a boil. Once at a rolling boil, cook eggs for 6 minutes 10 seconds. After this time, immediately put the eggs in ice water. Let them sit for 5 minutes in the ice water.
- De-shell the eggs and add it to the soy sauce mixture. Marinate for 1 hour or more. If the egg is not fully submerged in the sauce, marinate for 30 minutes on one side and then flip it over and marinate for another 30 minutes on the other side.