Spring is here which means simple recipes, and my favorite protein for simple recipes is salmon. One of the first meals I could make for myself was a salmon dish. It’s just so easy to prepare and tastes good with very little else. That’s why I love it so much and how I approached this recipe. This soy sauce salmon recipe is very simple. It only uses only a few sauces and seasonings, and takes less than 30 minutes to make.
Ingredients, Substitutions & Adjustments
- Salmon – I like to use salmon filets for this recipe, but any cut of salmon will work
- Salt & pepper for seasoning
- Neutral oil – Use any kind of neutral oil with a high smoke point. I like to use vegetable oil, but grapeseed or corn oil are also good options.
- Oil – Use any kind of oil for the sauce.
- Shallot – Adds sweetness to the sauce. A good substitute for shallots is sweet yellow onion.
- Garlic – Adds more flavor to the sauce.
- Light brown sugar – Adds sweetness and some caramelization.
- Soy sauce – Adds umami and salty flavors. To make this recipe gluten free, use tamari instead.
- Lemon juice – Balances out the sweet flavors and adds a bit of brightness.
Making my soy sauce salmon
This soy sauce salmon is so so easy to make. First, season the salmon with salt and pepper. Heat 1/2 cup oil over high heat. Add the salmon and fry for 2-3 minutes on each side until golden brown. Remove salmon from the heat and set aside. Next the sauce! Add the rest of the olive oil to the pan with the shallot, garlic, brown sugar, soy sauce, and lemon juice. Cook sauce for 1-2 minutes to reduce. You can tell the sauce is done if you coat the back of a spoon and draw your finger through it. If the trail doesn’t breal, it’s done. Pour sauce over the salmon. Serve with rice and veggies.
Did you make this dish?
If you made this dish, I would love to see!
Disclaimer: If you purchase anything through a link on this site, I may receive a small commission from the purchase at no extra cost to you. I only recommend products that I would personally use. Thank you so much for the support!
Soy Sauce Salmon
- Season the salmon with salt and pepper.
- Heat 1/2 cup oil over high heat.
- Add the salmon and fry for 2-3 minutes on each side until golden brown.
- Remove salmon from the heat and set aside.
- Next the sauce! Add the rest of the olive oil to the pan with the shallot, garlic, brown sugar, soy sauce, and lemon juice.
- Cook sauce for 1-2 minutes to reduce. Pour sauce over the salmon.
- Serve with rice and veggies.