It’s been a crazy last few weeks for me…some bad stuff happening and some good. But I’m not quite ready to share on here yet. I was thinking about how much I loved tacos last week, and I wanted to think of more ways to eat this yummy dish. So I thought why not for breakfast. I haven’t experimented too much with breakfast dishes, so this was the perfect opportunity. This easy and meatless breakfast tacos recipe is something I for sure can see myself eating for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
I like my tacos with a few simple but flavorful ingredients and this taco dish is no different. It has eggs, avocado, and salsa with a few yummy toppings. I chose cilantro and Tapatio hot sauce. I gotta admit this was the first time I’ve had Tapatio in yearssss and I don’t hate it!
There is seriously nothing I love more than a yummy salsa. The key to a kick ass salsa is squeezing the lime over the onions so the acid in the lime cooks the onions a bit. I learned this from watching triple D (Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives) – that Guy Fieri show where he goes to food joints and tries/talks about their food. Thinking about the chemistry behind it, it totally makes sense. I feel like the onion flavor is overpowering sometimes, and the lime’s acidity works to dampen that.
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 tsp whole milk
- 1/2 avocado thinly sliced
- 1 ½ cup roma tomatoes diced
- ½ cup yellow onions diced
- ¼ cup cilantro minced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 4 tortillas
- Salsa: Combine tomatoes, onions, cilantro, salt, and lime juice in a bowl. Mix well and let it sit for 30 minutes to let the flavors blend together.
- Combine the eggs and milk in a bowl. Whisk until the eggs have broken down and both ingredients have been mixed well. Heat a pan over medium high heat and add a tablespoon of olive oil. Pour the mixture in the pan and scramble the eggs. After removing it from the heat, season with salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- Heat the tortillas over an open flame for 10 seconds on each side. Set aside
- Spoon some egg and salsa onto a tortilla. Add a few pieces of avocado and whatever toppings you like. I used cilantro and hot sauce.