The idea for this durian whipped cream came from my mom! She’s been asking me to make her a swiss roll cake, and I was experimenting with a strawberry roll cake this week, but I failed every time. On the last iteration, she asked me to combine durian and whipped cream, so she can enjoy a strawberry durian roll cake. I was like okay sure why not. I had never made a durian whipped cream before, so I just went for it. I actually loved it so much, I knew I had to post it on here.
Ingredients, Substitutions & Adjustments
- Durian – There are definitely no substitutions for durian because of how distinct its flavor is! Use up to 8 oz of durian flesh for this whipped cream. I used about 6 oz, and I felt like the flavor was already pretty strong. But I know some people out there love a nice strong durian flavor, so use your judgment!
- Heavy cream – The core part of this whipped cream. You can’t have whipped cream without the cream! Use any kind of heavy cream you can find.
- Powdered sugar – Use either powdered sugar or regular sugar. I like using powdered sugar because I like to think it makes the whipped cream more fluffy, but I think either works fine.
- Vanilla extract – Adds flavor to the whipped cream. Substitute with either 1 vanilla bean or an equal amount of vanilla paste!
Making my durian whipped cream
First combine the durian flesh and heavy cream in a blender or a bowl. Blend together using a blender or an immersion blender. Next, add the vanilla extract and powdered sugar. Whisk with a stand mixer or hand mixer until stiff peaks (~5 minutes). Serve with cake, ice cream, or any dessert you choose! Or just eat it straight up.
Did you make this dish?
If you made this dish, I would love to see!
Disclaimer: If you purchase anything through a link on this site, I may receive a small commission from the purchase at no extra cost to you. I only recommend products that I would personally use. Thank you so much for the support!
Durian Whipped Cream
- Blend durian and heavy cream for a few seconds until well incorporated. Use a blender or immersion blender.
- Add the powdered sugar and vanilla extract. Whisk with a stand mixer or hand mixer until stiff peaks (~5 minutes).