A staple of Chinese cuisine is fried rice. What I love most about it is that people have so many different ways of crafting this dish. I have had so many variations over the years – some I loved and some that were just okay. I’ve seen this dish made with chicken, fish, veggies, and eggs. It is also a dish that takes little time to make. Whenever I need a quick dinner and am craving something Asian, this is my go to recipe. I usually take whatever I have in my fridge and throw it in. My favorite ingredients to use are eggs, Chinese sausage, and frozen veggies.
Ingredients, Substitutions & Adjustments
Below are the ingredients I use for my fried rice, but you can add almost anything you like. I try to provide as many substitutions as possible.
- Chinese sausages – Chinese sausages are the bedrock of a good fried rice in my opinion. They can be found at Asian grocery stores. If you don’t like Chinese sausages or you can’t find them, you can leave it out. You can substitute with any kind of protein like chicken or even tofu.
- Eggs – I used large eggs for this recipe. You can leave this out if
- Frozen vegetables – Fresh vegetables is also a good option, but I like to use the frozen kind because it’s easier.
- White rice – I think white rice soaks up flavor better than any other kind of rice. You can also use brown rice and red rice for fried rice.
- Soy sauce – Soy sauce adds umami flavor and color to the rice. My favorite brand of soy sauce is Kikkoman. If you are gluten free, use tamari.
- Sesame oil – Adds a smokey, earthy flavor to the dish.
- Seasonings (salt & pepper) – Brings out the flavor of the other ingredients and adds more flavor.
Making my Chinese fried rice
This fried rice recipe can be whipped in 30 minutes or less which makes for the perfect weeknight dinner. I try to use day old rice as it makes the texture a little more crispy but freshly cooked rice is fine as well. First make some scrambled eggs and set them aside. Cut up the Chinese sausage into small pieces and throw them in a pan. After 30 seconds, add in the frozen veggies and then the rice. I mix and let it cook for 30 seconds. I then add in a tablespoon of dark soy sauce and 1 teaspoon of sesame oil which works to color and flavor the rice. Lastly, I throw in the scrambled eggs I made earlier and let it cook for a few minutes. That’s it! It probably took me longer to write this paragraph than for me to cook this dish.
Did you make this dish?
If you made this dish, I would love to see!
Disclaimer: If you purchase anything through a link on this site, I may receive a small commission from the purchase at no extra cost to you. I only recommend products that I would personally use. Thank you so much for the support!
Chinese Fried Rice
- Scramble the eggs and set aside.
- Dice up the Chinese sausages and put it into a pan with some oil. Cook for 30 seconds.
- Add in the frozen veggies and rice. Mix and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add in the soy sauce and sesame oil to add color to the rice.
- Lastly, put in the scrambles eggs you set aside.
- Mix together and cook for a minute and serve. Add salt and pepper to taste.