I had a lot of marshmallows leftover from my s’mores mochi donut recipe, so naturally, I was like let’s make matcha rice krispie treats! Rice krispie treats are one of my favorite desserts to make because they are just so easy and so good. These treats have a healthy dose of matcha powder and a little bit of black sesame seeds, so you get 2 really yummy flavors. And they’re also not that sweet! The matcha powder balances out the sweetness from the marshmallows really well.
Ingredients, Substitutions & Adjustments
- Matcha powder – Gives the Rice Krispie treats their green color and adds the matcha flavor. I like to use Aiya’s culinary grade matcha powder because the color and flavor hold the best out of all the matcha I’ve tried.
- Rice Krispie cereal – This is what makes this bar a Rice Krispie treat! Rice Krispie cereal has gluten in it, so if you want to make it gluten free, make sure to get the gluten free version. The brand does make it.
- Unsalted butter – Adds a nice nutty flavor to the rice krispie treats.
- Marshmallows – Marshmallows bind the Rice Krispie cereal together. You can use either large or small marshmallows.
- Black sesame seeds (optional) – I like adding black sesame seeds because I love how its flavor blends with the matcha flavor. This ingredient is optional.
Making my matcha rice krispie treats
First line a 9×9 baking dish with parchment paper. Set aside. Next, sift your matcha powder into a small bowl and set aside. Add the Rice Krispie cereal to a large bowl. Set aside. Melt the butter over medium heat until golden brown. Add the marshmallows and mix until they melt. Add the sifted matcha powder and mix until a uniform green color. Pour the matcha marshmallows over the Rice Krispie cereal and add the black sesame seeds. Combine until the cereal is fully coated. Spoon rice krispie treats into the prepared 9×9 baking dish and press down with a spatula so the rice krispie treats are distributed evenly. Cool for 10 minutes before serving.
Tips on how to make the perfect matcha rice krispie treats
- Pre sift the matcha powder – Matcha tends to clump easily which prevents the rice krispie treats from having an even green color. So in order to reduce clumping, I sifted the matcha into a bowl before adding it to the melted marshmallows. I did this first because I found it too stressful to sift it while melting the marshmallows.
- Use high quality matcha – I mention this in a few of my previous matcha recipes. High quality matcha makes your food greener and gives it a more intense matcha flavor. If you think you have lower quality matcha, I would highly recommend using more than 2 tablespoons of matcha powder.
- Melt the butter so it is golden brown for the best flavor – I take my melted butter until it’s almost brown butter. Getting it to this point gives you the best flavor without burning it.
Did you make this dish?
If you made this dish, I would love to see!
Disclaimer: If you purchase anything through a link on this site, I may receive a small commission from the purchase at no extra cost to you. I only recommend products that I would personally use. Thank you so much for the support!
Matcha Rice Krispie Treats
- Line a 9x9 baking pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Sift the matcha powder into a small bowl. Set aside.
- Add the Rice Krispie cereal to a large bowl. Set aside.
- Melt the butter until golden brown.
- Add the marshmallows and cook until melted.
- Add the matcha powder from step 2 and stir until a uniform green color.
- Pour matcha marshmallow mixture over the Rice Krispie cereal. Add the black sesame seeds. Mix until the cereal is fully coated in the marshmallows.
- Spoon rice krispie treats into the prepared 9x9 baking dish and press down with a spatula so the rice krispie treats are distributed evenly.
- Cool for 10 minutes before serving.