Recently, the one thing I’ve been thinking about a lot is simple food. Simple recipes. A few simple ingredients. Simple cooking technique. So much of the food we have nowadays in restaurants and even stuff we make is filled with tons of stuff and extremely difficult to make. It sort of makes me crave the exact opposite. That’s why I wanted to take it back to something simple this week with my take on a classic summer dish. This is my sriracha potato salad recipe.
What makes this potato salad the best is it has a real balance of flavors. When I have potato salad, the onion is usually too strong or the salad overall is too rich, so I aimed to fix those issues with this recipe. Make sure to read all my tips below!
Ingredients, Substitutions & Adjustments
- Red onion – I used half a red onion for this recipe, but you can also use sweet yellow onions.
- Russet potatoes – You can use any kind of potatoes you want for this recipe. I personally like using russet potatoes because they have a lot of starch in them which gives them a nice soft texture.
- Apple cider vinegar – Even when you cook potatoes, they can still oxidize or turn brown, so adding some vinegar to it prevents that from happening. The vinegar also balances out the rich flavors in the potato salad. You can substitute apple cider vinegar with rice wine vinegar or regular white vinegar.
- Eggs, celery, and dill – All ingredients add flavor and texture to the potato salad.
- Sriracha, mustard, lime juice, salt, and mayonnaise – These ingredients provide a balanced dressing for the potato salad. The sriracha and mustard add a kick to the potato salad, and mayo makes it creamy.
Making my sriracha potato salad
First, soak minced red onions in water for 15 minutes. This helps tone down the onion flavor, so it doesn’t overpower the other flavors. Boil, peel, cut potatoes into small pieces. Sprinkle the apple cider vinegar on top. Set aside to cool. Boil the eggs. Cut into small pieces. Set aside to cool. Chop the celery and dill into small pieces. Set aside. Combine the sriracha, mustard, mayo, lime juice, and salt. Mix until well combined. Now it’s time to put it all together! Add the potatoes, eggs, celery, onion, and dill into a large bowl. Drizzle the sriracha mayo on top. Mix until well incorporated. Taste for flavour and add more salt if needed. Put it in the fridge for 30 minutes before serving. This helps all the flavours combine.
Tips on how to make the perfect sriracha potato salad
- Why do you soak the onions in water? – This is one of the keys to this recipe. Raw onions have a very strong flavor, so soaking them in water tones down that onion flavor. This gives the potato salad more balance.
- Salt the water you boil your potatoes in – Potatoes are bland, so salting the water allows you to add some flavor to the potato before they go into the salad.
- Why do you add apple cider vinegar to the potatoes? – Potatoes tends to turn brown easily, so adding an acid like apple cider vinegar prevents that from happening. In addition, the tangy flavor of vinegar balances out the other rich flavors. The lime juice also helps with that balance too.
- What do you eat potato salad with? – I usually like to eat mine with my cinnamon coriander ribs and grilled corn.
- How do you boil potatoes? – Add potatoes, water and salt to a large pot. Make sure the water covers the potatoes. Bring the water to a boil and then lower to a simmer. Simmer until the potatoes are soft enough so a knife easily goes through it. This may take up to 25 minutes for large potatoes.
- How do you boil eggs? – Add eggs and water to a pot. Make sure the water covers the eggs. Bring water to a boil. Cover the pot and turn the heat off. Let it sit in the pot for 10-12 minutes. Transfer to a bowl of cold water and let it sit for 10 minutes to cool.
Did you make this Sriracha Potato Salad?
If you made this matcha treat, I would love to see!
Follow Cooking Therapy on Instagram, snap a photo, and tag and hashtag it with @cooking__therapy and #beccascookingtherapy.
Stay connected and follow along on Facebook, Pinterest, and Instagram for all my latest recipes.
Disclaimer: If you purchase anything through a link on this site, I may receive a small commission from the purchase at no extra cost to you. I only recommend products that I would personally use. Thank you so much for the support!
Sriracha Potato Salad
- ½ cup red onion minced
- 1 ¼ lb russet potatoes boiled, peeled, and cut into small pieces
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 3 eggs boiled and cut into small pieces
- 3 stalks celery minced
- 2 tbsp dill minced
- 2 tbsp sriracha
- 2 tbsp mustard
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- Soak minced red onions in water for 15 minutes. This helps tone down the onion flavor, so it doesn’t overpower the other flavors.
- Boil, peel, and cut potatoes into small pieces. Sprinkle the apple cider vinegar on top. Set aside to cool.
- Boil the eggs. Cut into small pieces. Set aside to cool.
- Chop the celery and dill into small pieces. Set aside.
- Combine the sriracha, mustard, mayo, lime juice, and salt. Mix until well combined.
- Now it’s time to put it all together! Add the potatoes, eggs, celery, onion, and dill into a large bowl. Drizzle the sriracha mayo on top. Mix until well incorporated.
- Taste for flavour and add more salt if needed. Put it in the fridge for 30 minutes before serving. This helps all the flavours combine.
Leave a Reply