Recently my go-to recipes are for pasta dishes. Throughout the work week, I have to pack myself lunch and make sure I have enough food to last me through weeknights, so I usually turn to these recipes to get me through the week. I have loved experimenting with different sauces and pasta types since I started doing this. Recently, my coworker gave me this amazing idea for a Thai basil pesto. I tried it and loved it, so I’m sharing the recipe with you guys.
Making this Thai basil pesto
Typically, a classic Italian pesto is usually made with Italian basil which can taste slightly sweet. Thai basil on the other hand tastes a bit like licorice or star anise. Because it tastes a little bit different from Italian basil, I used canola oil for this recipe instead of olive oil. Canola oil is more bland, so it allows the Thai basil flavor to stand out. In addition, I felt that olive oil would clash with the taste of Thai basil. If you want something a bit healthier, grapeseed oil should work well too.
To make this Thai basil pesto, combine Thai basil, canola oil, salt, parmigiano reggiano, garlic, almonds, and lime juice in a food processor and blitz. Everything should break down pretty easily, and you have a yummy pesto after about 1-2 minutes. Store pesto in an airtight container for a week or up to 6 months in the freezer.
Substitutions and Adjustments
The best pesto sauces are ones that are customized to your tastes. Below are a few substitutions you can make to make it your own!
- Pecorino cheese or parmesan cheese can be substituted for parmigiano reggiano. Yes there is a difference between parmigiano reggiano and parmesan cheese!
- I personally dislike pine nuts, so I use almonds instead. You can also use walnuts for this recipe.
- Grapeseed oil or vegetable oil can be substituted for canola oil.
- If you don’t want to use Thai basil or can’t find it, you can also use traditional Italian basil. If you use Italian basil, substitute canola oil for olive oil.
Did you make this Thai Basil Pesto?
If you made this dish, I would love to see!
Thai Basil Pesto
- 2 cups Thai basil packed
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup almonds
- 1/4 cup parmigiano reggiano
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp lime juice
- 2/3 cup canola oil
- Add all the ingredients into a food processor and pulse until everything breaks down. Add to a jar for storage or serve with cooked pasta.